Hannaford’s Supermarket Sustainability Policies.

Hannaford supports local producers

I was shopping in a Hannaford supermarket when a couple of signs caught my attention. One read “we are proud to support our local growers and producers and the other read, “More Farm Less Truck. We love local foods from local farms.”

in a Hannaford supermarket when a couple of signs caught my attention. One read “we are proud to support our local growers and producers and the other read, “More Farm Less Truck. We love local foods from local farms.”

They have a fairly robust sustainability policy and according to Peter Cooke, program Manager for Manomet, a New England Based scientific organization dedicated to sustainable practices; “Hannaford are a leader in the country for managing sustainability across a large number of stores”

According to Hannaford’s website sustainability page, they claim among other things to have 100% of their stores are certified as stewards for sustainability, 100% of the fish they sell comes from sustainable sources, they recycled 78% of their waste and are working on energy efficiency.

Hannaford it turns out are part of the Netherlands based Ahold Delhaize retailing group who are committed to a sustainable retailing policy. I would not have been aware of any this but for noticing these two signs!